Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Loss of Signal


Cell phones are wonderful devices.  I won’t spend a lot of time extolling their virtues, but take it as a given, a cell phone is amazing, and potentially a life-saver.

That’s the primary reason I carry one when I’m riding.  It’s a security device.  It’s good to know that help is only a few button presses away.

On the other hand, the stinkin’ things can be incredibly annoying, and even dangerous.

I’m sometimes appalled to see what some folks are willing to do on a bike.  Talking on a phone, receiving (or worse sending) texts are high on the list.



I usually keep my phone on, and with me.  I will not carry it in a convenient jersey pocket.  That’s downright dangerous.  So when I get a call, or hear that text tone, I have to stop the bike, and fumble around to get it out.  (That’s very much by design.)

Three successive calls or four successive texts, and I “go dark.”

Let’s face it, when we are riding on the road, we are part of the traffic.  But we are the part that is most vulnerable and least protected.  Becoming distracted, or disabling one of our senses is pretty dangerous.  Better to leave the phone off, or get off the road to answer it, and leave the music player and the earbuds at home too.

How do you all deal with this?


No comments:

Post a Comment