Wednesday, June 17, 2009

A Bit More On The Test Rides

The whole idea behind the Tour Test Rides is actually contained in the title. These are opportunities for us to test our packing, our loads, our fitness, and our bikes.

I’ve suggested before that training should be done above the target touring load weight. I stand by that. I recommend that we each be carrying something on the order of 20% to 25% more weight in the pack than we actually intend to carry on the Cheaha Two Day Tour. This is a good way to assess your ability to haul a load over a distance.

Note: Remember, that's 20% to 25% of your load weight ~~ not of your total weight. Big difference!

On the other hand, we should be looking at the intended load, and refining it. Do we really and truly need to carry that three pound vise? Likely not. "War and Peace" is a great book, but it’s heavy, and I doubt even the most dedicated reader among us will have that much spare time. You get the idea.

Seriously. I urge each of us to carry enough to be self sufficient. We intend to stick fairly close together, but things happen. I’ve seen groups break up and get separated. Depending on someone else for the wherewithal to fix that flat would be imprudent.

Yes, I will distribute cue sheets to those who intend to go! Getting lost is pretty much a poor idea.

That brings me to another point. I will have cue sheets available this coming Sunday. I strongly recommend that each rider take one, before we start riding. Then, even if you are following someone else, do your own navigating! Know what turns are coming. Watch your computer to see how soon to expect a direction change. Play it as if you were in foreign country, didn’t speak the language, and had only yourself to depend on for navigation. It’s really good practice.

Back to the heavy bike issue: The Cheaha Tour is the heavy one. After that, we’re going to be somewhat supported for the remainder of the touring I’ll be doing this year. And if you train up for Cheaha, and do it. You will be in great shape for the MS 150 in Pine Mountain, and for the Waynesville, NC Adventure in October.

I don’t know about you, but I’m really looking forward to Sunday, and I’m really looking forward to going to the mountains on 5 July!

No comments:

Post a Comment