Friday, April 29, 2011

Friday Follies ~~ Long hours & cold beer


It’s a chilly morning here in Fayette.  This is our climate’s way of reminding us, Summer is not here.  It’s only the middle of Spring.

Yes, Spring!  It’s time to get the ladders out, grab the tools, and get some of those household projects done.  This is a time when balance is hard.  The weather invites us to go out and ride.  The painting won’t wait.  The employer expects us to show up.  Food and sleep take up too much time.  It’s pretty out.  I want to go for a ride!

On that note, and to add to the confusion, we are now just a few hours away from the beginning of Bike Month.

I’ve read a good bit on this lately.  Various bloggers and commentators have opined in several directions.  Some of the pro-cycling camp are actually taking an anti-Bike Month stance.  (By “pro-cycling” we mean folks who are advocates and boosters of cycling, as opposed to those who get paid to ride.)  The reasoning is something like this.  Bicycling can be done all year ‘round.  The very idea of creating a special “month” for it promotes the idea that cycling is something exceptional.  Cycling should be an ordinary activity.  We should encourage everyone to ride in all the months.

Okay, I kind of see the point.  But I believe there is a lot that is exceptional about cycling.  It’s wonderful to ride.  More, when considered against the background of our general population, riding is the exception, not the norm.  If you desire an informal proof of this, go and observe your local McDonalds this evening.  You will see a lot of obese people driving to the place.  I doubt you will see even one cyclist, of any stripe, riding there.

Me?  I’m going to celebrate Bike Month.  Not with any great fanfare, but by riding.  I will increase my commuting activity, and my utility cycling in the coming month.  Something about the whole idea of a “Bike Month” sort of encourages me to do so.

I’m gonna do one other thing with my bike, and do it today.  At the end of my work day, I’m going to celebrate the end of the traditional work week.  I’m going to ride to one of my favorite locations and lift a cold beer.  I’ll drink the delicious Belgian brew, toast the end of the week, and then ride slowly and carefully back.  After all, I have to be ready for work tomorrow.

Have a good safe weekend all.

No comments:

Post a Comment