Wednesday, October 1, 2008

FINAL APPROACH JITTERS

I’ve been getting some questions that translate to, “What if I start this thing and find that I can’t make it?”

Okay. Everyone who has contacted me, everyone who I know plans to go. You can do it!

But what if…?

You won’t be stranded. Look, this is a self-supported ride. We don’t have the safety net of SAG wagons, road paint, crewed rest stops, etc. On the other hand, we aren’t doing this in a third world country. There is help, support, and relief all around you. We will support each other. We are strong, and determined, and resourceful, and well equipped. Relax! It will work out, and it will be fun!

But what if…?

Well, the correct attitude for this thing is to start it with the committed full intent to finish. Plan to succeed. Plan to finish. You will.

But what if…?

Alright already. Over the years that I’ve been doing this, I will admit that there have been a few DNFs. (That’s Did Not Finish) In fact there have been exactly four.

I am happy to report that they are all alive and well, and we are still friends. Two of those riders chose, before hand, to leave the ride mid-way, and arranged to be met in Warm Springs. (I’d prefer for you to do the whole ride, but this is a low stress way of doing part of it.) One year, one rider had a pretty severe asthma attack. We lowered the pace and got him to a good safe place to be met and picked up. That leaves only one other rider. This individual developed pretty severe knee pain. He admitted that he was undertrained. He arranged pick up in Warm Springs. He lives and rides happily to this day.

It is possible that you might have to abandon the ride. I do have a contingency plan to recover a stopped rider. However, that rider may just have to wait for quite a while before that pick up is made. The distances of this ride necessitate that. I think it very, I’d even say extremely, unlikely that any of you will need to abandon.

Relax. Fear is natural. Look it in the face and laugh at it. You have little to fear, and much to gain.

Current Weather Outlook: The cold front is arriving now. Current forecast for Saturday: Low 50s at ride time. High in the upper 70s. Partly cloudy. Very low rain chance. Still looks near ideal.

No comments:

Post a Comment